There are 220 million people living in a country they weren’t born in. Home is not just a place where you are born, it’s a place where you become yourself.
I have had a few close friends move abroad recently so I wanted to share some tips that I learned or that other people shared with me for moving above and abroad:
- Try something new every chance you get
- Don’t let fear take over in a negative way. Fear is a good thing as it means you are stepping out of what you know. Most people don’t have the courage to go in the first place – you are braver than you think. You live once, fear will drive you to fulfillment
- Be patient with cultural differences. There will be things that seem inefficient or annoying about another culture but try to understand their reasoning and be patient rather than judgmental or annoyed
- Talk to as many new people as possible. Hearing new perspectives will change your life and you might get to see some cool local hot spots in the meantime.
- You are there for a good time, not a long time
- Your family, friends and loved ones will be here when you get back. They want you to be there and they want you to be happy and enjoy your experience.
- You will never be able to do something exactly like this, under these circumstances, ever again. Soak it up!
- Write, read and stay connected to the present
- Find comfort in the unknown or in the feeling of being ‘uncomfortable’